Puzzle Sampling Week 4

As of this week I have finished the Kontakt bass patch. I solved my Automapping problem by individually placing the notes in the mapping editor and used the spread option in Kontakt to help me fill in the gaps.

Kontakt bass screenshot
Spreading the notes in Kontakt

The next step was to process the bass. I used this tutorial to give me ideas on how I can process my bass in Kontakt and also to better understand the effects processing.

I decided to use only the group edit function to ensure a consistent sound between all bass samples. The goal was  to beef up the bass so that it could also be used in traks (particularly that of the electronic genre).  So I used a mix buss compressor and a tape saturator to give it more fatness. I used a limiter as the bass notes were quite soft to begin with. The filters were useful in removing any pops as well as unnecessary low muddiness.

Bass fx screenshot
The FX used in the Kontakt patch

On the MIDI keyboard, I played a small melody live in Ableton to test out the patch – I did quantize the notes afterwards but it should demonstrate how the patch can be used. You can have a listen below:

Overall I am quite please with how the Kontakt bass patch sounds and I plan on using it and the Battery drum patch in future projects. My only concern is that it sounds more like a sub bass patch rather than a “real-sounding” bass patch due to the low-pass filtering (there is no click). But I feel I have become more familiar with Kontakt’s sampling abilities.

I have also been editing the guitars in Ableton. I was going to use riffs but I found them too short to sample in Kontakt. I decided to use the guitar as a lead instrument and only sampled the long guitar notes. I don’t plan on making it sound realistic, but I would like it to sound good enough to be used in an audio project.

Guitar Sampling Screenshot
Sampling guitars in Ableton

As the guitars have already been distorted by Dylan’s amp I don’t plan on using too much effects processing but I have some ideas on how I can process the guitar.

After demonstrating my Battery drum patch in a class presentation, my lecturer suggested that I move the notes around so that it could be played by an actual drummer on a MIDI keyboard. He also suggested that I look at previous kits for inspiration. Most of the kits I looked at had more than one kick and snare and hi-hats (in fact they used all of the cells) so it wasn’t much help. However after playing around, I decided to have the “fatter” drum hits (i.e kick, snare, toms) on ivory notes and the “lighter” drum hits  (hi-hats, cymbals) on the ebony notes. As a result, I could play the drum patch a lot better than I did in the presentation.

Next week, I will finish the guitar patch and also compose a 1-minute demo in Ableton featuring all three sampled instrument patches.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s